Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Road To Recovery Part 3

LETTING GO
The Road to Recovery - Part 3
DeAntwan Fitts
Outline provided by Rick Warren (used with permission)
November 23rd, 2008



R.E.C.O.V.E.R.Y.

R ealize I'm not God; I admit I'm powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and my life is unmanageable.

E arnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to him, and that he has the power to help me recover.

C onciously Choose to commit all my life and will to Christ's Care and Control.

Jesus, "Come to me all you who are weary and overburdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me... For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Mt. 11:28-30 (Ph)

I. WHAT COULD KEEP ME FROM TAKING THIS STEP?

1. Pride; I don't want to admit I need help.
"...Arrogant people are on the way to ruin." Pr. 18:12 (GN)

2. Guilt: I'm ashamed to ask God for help.
"Problems far too big for me to solve are piled higher than my head. Meanwhile my sins, too many to count, have all caught up with me, and I am ashamed to look up."
Ps. 40:12 (LB)


3. Fear: I'm afraid of what I'd have to give up.
"How does a man benefit if he gains the whole world and loses his soul in the process? Is anything worth more than his soul?" Mk 8:36 (LB)

4. Worry: I confuse the decision phase with the problem-solving phase.
"Cast all your anxiety on God because He cares for you." 1 Pet5 :7

"God, who began the good work within you, will keep right on helping you grow in his grace until his love is finally finished." Phil 1:8 (LB)

5. Doubt: My faith seems so small.
"If you have faith as small as a mustard seed... nothing will be impossible for you."
Matt. 17:20


II. HOW DO I TAKE THIS STEP?

1. I accept God’s Son as my Savior.
"Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved." Acts 16:31

2. I accept God’s Word as my Standard.
"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the faith and correcting error,
for resetting the direction of a man's life, and training him in good living."
II Tim 3:16 (Ph)

3. I accept God’s Will as my Strategy
"I desire to do your will, O my God..." Ps. 40:8

4. I accept God’s Power as my Strength
"I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength
and power." Ph. 4:13 (LB)


Jesus: "I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him." Rev. 3:20

5 comments:

Cherdecor said...

Your recovery program is so good! Do you mind if I copy some of it? People need to see this!
Blessings,
Cheryl

BAW Sr. said...

Great Job,Pastor I can't wait to meet you in person!








BAW,sr.

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Another great gem my brother. God bless your ministry!

Ronald said...

Pastor, I applaud you for your courage and your obedience in following the Spirit to lead your congregation through this series.

May our heavenly father continue to guide, lead and give you strength as you continue to seek His will and lead your congregation in complete obedience unto Him.

Blessed by your ministry,
Ron

Sharon said...

This is good, really good, and what a lesson for us all. What obedience you have shown. You have truly touched my heart on this, and I thank you so much for sharing this.
Have a blessed day and a wonderful Thanksgiving