Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Road to Recovery Part 1

THE FIRST STEP TO FREEDOM
The Road to Recovery - Part 1
DeAntwan Fitts
Outline provided by Rick Warren (used with permission)
November 9th, 2008

Isaiah 57:18 (GN) "I have seen how they acted, but I will heal them. I will lead them and help them, and I will comfort those who mourn. I offer peace to all, near and far!"

What are some possible things I need to recover from?

Overworking Overeating Alcohol/Drugs Overspending
Grief Guilt Anger/Rage Fear/Anxiety
Divorce Abuse Sexual addictions Codependency
Insecurity Perfectionism Hypochondria Hurtful Relationships
Gambling Lying Procrastination The need to control


The first step to R.E.C.O.V.E.R.Y:

Realize I'm not God; I must admit that there are certain things that are outside of my realm of control. Apart from Christ my life is un-manageable.

"I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I can't! I do what I don't want to -- what I hate! I know perfectly well what I'm doing is wrong. . . but I can't help myself! It is sin inside me that is stronger than I am that makes me do these evil things."
Romans 7:15-17 (LB)

I. THE CAUSE OF MY PROBLEM: My sin Nature/I want to be God

How we "play" God:

By denying our humanity and by trying to control everything for selfish reasons.

We try to control Our image
We try to control Other people
We try to control Our problems
We try to control Our pain
II. THE CONSEQUENCES to trying to play God

1. Fear

(Adam) "I was afraid because I was naked so I hid."
Gen. 3:10

2. Frustration

"It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong... something else deep within me... is at war with my mind and wins the fight and makes me slave to the sin..."
Rom 7:21, 23 (LB)

"My dishonesty made me miserable and filled my days with frustration."
Ps. 32:3 (LB)
3. Fatigue

"My strength evaporated like water on a sunny day until I finally admitted all my sins to You and stopped trying to hide them."
Ps. 32:4-5 (LB)

4. Failure

"You will never succeed in life if you try to hide your sins. Confess them and give them up; then God will show mercy to you." Prov. 28:13 (GN)


III. THE CURE: Admit that I’m not God
Admitting that I'm not God means I know I am:

powerless to change: My Past

powerless to control: Other People

powerless to cope: With My harmful habits, behaviors and actions

"God opposes the proud but gives GRACE to the humble."

James 4:6

GRACE IS: The power to change

11 comments:

Cherdecor said...

This is good stuff, Pastor! Blessings to you.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Fitts I echo the previous commentator, that is really good stuff my friend. Bless you!

Lance

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Great Post. I really thank you for the prayers and encouraging words. They are a real blessing to me.

Keep up the good work!

PS Great website!

Joyfulsister said...

Wow ..
There is surely alot of meat here, and alot to ponder on. I wrote some of the scriptures down especially the Proverbs one. Thank you for the depth of this post.

Blessing Lorie

Reverend Loy said...

thanks for the b-day wishes pastor! and happy birthday to you as well.

Clinton Smith said...

Great Post!

BAW Sr. said...

Great Post Pastor.All I can say is ditto to everything that has been said.






BAW,sr.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Love this ministry. Through this I see where true change and healing can take place. I love the outline and have seen some of the symtoms of this kind of bondage and pain within my own circle of acquaintances. This is so necessary and helpful in the lives of many.

Thanks for sharing

Edie said...

Thank you for sharing this Pastor Fitts. As Joyfulsister said, there is a lot to ponder here.

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

grace is the power to change!!!!!!!! I love that. Pastor thats good. Gods love given thru mercy and grace. Thankyou pastor that you love people and want to see them set free.

God Chaser said...

We don't realize the ways we try to play God. Thanks for sharing the lesson.