Sunday, September 21, 2008

What A Time We Had at Peace Chapel

There was something special about service today. From the time I started my meditations on Saturday, I was in expectaion of something special on Sunday. I guess that's how it should be every Sunday. I have been feeling very heavy lately. It's not like I have never felt this way before, but lately it's been almost overwhelming. I think as a pastor I can feel when certain members of my congregation is hurting and lately I have been feeling that we have members who are hurting. That's what prompted me to start a series I titled "Overcomming Depression".

My studies have been so rewading for me. Normally, I spend a lot of time wrestling with the text, but with this series God has just been so easily allowing me to see the truth's that are found in His word concerning Depression.

Today I preached my second sermon on this topic and I am still contemplating whether to preach another sermon on the topic. My delivery came so easy today. I believe that God is really speaking to hurting people from His word concerning depression. I don't want to spend more time then necessary on this topic.

Here is the outline of my sermon:Overcoming Depression Psalms 32:1-5

Intro: Review Depression; possible cause;
Conversation between God and Cain in Genesis 4


I. Who is the one that overcomes depression? Vs. 1-2

a. The one who is blessed is the one who overcomes depression
aa. Who is the one that is blessed?

David does not say the one who has a lot of money is blessed;
He does not say the one who is free from sickness;
Does not say the one who gets there way

What he says is: Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.

The word blessed mean: Happy, a deep seeded joy, contentment

Four word’s David use to describe sin: Transgression(rebellion); Sin (failure); Iniquity (perversion) and deceit (falsehood)

Transgression- the violation of a law or a duty or moral principle; the action of going beyond or overstepping some boundary or limit; to step across

Sin- violate a law of God or a moral law; disobedience of the divine command; any violation of God's will, either in purpose or conduct; moral deficiency in the character

Iniquity- absence of moral or spiritual values; morally objectionable behavior; wickedness

Deceit- the quality of being fraudulent; a misleading falsehood; concealing the truth



II. How can I overcome Depression? Vs. 3-5
Stop trying to cover up your dirt (acting like you don’t have issues) vs. 3-4 2 Sam 11:1-17; 25-27
a. Stop trying to cover up your dirt (acting like you don’t have issues) vs. 3-4 2 Sam 11:1-17; 25-27
b. Come clean about your sin vs. 5-6

Before I started on this subject, I was looking at a couple of passages in James. I actually preached one sermon from James the Sunday before I started on depression. Maybe I will get back to that marvelous book that is so filled with wisdom. Not sure. Hopefully the Lord will make it clear for me real soon.

3 comments:

T Lynn Travel said...

Hi Pastor Fitts,
I hear nothing but great things thus far on your series on depression. Keep up the great work. Be Blessed

Sis Tawanna

Anonymous said...

What's up Pastor 'D'?
As I said in the note from the 9.21prayer list, Sunday Msg regarding Depression was the 'bomb.'
Luv your blog.
Keep up the good work.
Pastor D, I'm proud of u.
Many hugs.
Pam K

Mrs. Moore said...

I got your reply and that was a good scripture glad to hear you liked the blog see you tonight at Bible study Love you keep me in your prayers because you are most definitely in mines talk to soon