Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's Different This Time

It’s Different This Time

In the past I have tried many times to diet but it’s different this time around. In the past, my primary motivations for eating right was to lose weight, or get in shape or so I could look good or feel good. Although those are great motivations and I still hold to them, they are not my primary motivation. What makes dieting different for me this time is that my primary motivation is to glorify God.

I am on a quest to become a healthy well-balanced Christian and in order for me to do that I have to bring balance to the individual categories of my life. I have to look at the areas of my life that do not glorify God. Any area of our life that is not controlled by the Spirit of God, does not glorify God. Food was my master, which meant that the Spirit of God did not control that area of my life. This principle is the same across the board. If our finances are not under the authority of God we are not glorifying God with our finances, which makes that an area of our life that is off balance. It can be applied to our relationships, marriage, parenting and everything else. If we want to be healthy well-balanced Christians we must submit every area of our life to God. The most important question becomes, what does the word of God say? Also, am I doing what the word of God says? If not, we are not controlled by the Spirit of God; something or someone else masters us. That area of our life does not glorify God. If I give my body what it wants, my body controls me but if I give my body what it needs, I control my body. He is the formula: God controls me and I control my body. That’s balance!

Losing weight, getting in shape, wanting to look good and wanting to feel good are great reasons for dieting but our primary reason for doing whatever we do should be to glorify God. That’s why I say it’s different this time.



"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor. 6:12 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great!