Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Road To Recovery Part 5

As we approach the end of the year, I find myself busier then ever. I am trying to finish strong and prepare for the up and coming year. God has given me an awesome vision for 2009 and I am exited about it!

God has really used this current Recovery series to produce fruit in the lives of His people. Saints are already on the Road to Recovery from issues that have had them in bondage for many years. God be praised!

Here is the outline for last Sunday’s sermon:

MAKING CHANGES
The Road to Recovery - Part 5
DeAntwan Fitts
Outline provided by Rick Warren (used with permission)
December 7th, 2008


R.E.C.O.V.E.R.Y

V oluntarily submit to every change God wants to make in my life and humbly ask him to remove my Character Defects.

"Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his service and pleasing to him...and let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind." Rom 12:1-2 (GN)

I. WHERE DO MY CHARACTER DEFECTS COME FROM?

a. Ultimatly My Defects are a result of my fallen sinful nature but My Genetics have contributed to my character defects.

Genetics explain predisposition but don't excuse sin!

b. My Circumstances

Character defects are often attempts to fill unmet needs.

c. My Choices

Character defects are often positive qualities being misused.

II. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO CHANGE THEM?

1. Because I've had them so long

2. Because I identify with them

3. Because they have a payoff

4. Because Satan discourages me

III. HOW DO I COOPERATE WITH GOD'S CHANGE PROCESS?

"..Be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Rom 12:2

1. Focus on changing one defect at a time.

An intelligent person aims at wise action, but a fool starts off in many directions." Prov. 17:24

2. Focus on victory one day at a time.

"Give us this day our daily bread" Matt. 6:11

"Don't worry about tomorrow, each day has enough troubles of its own." Matt. 6:34

3. Focus on God's power not willpower.

"Can a leopard take away his spots? Nor can you who are used to doing evil now start being good." Jer. 12:23 (LB)

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

4. Focus on what I want, not what I don't want.

"Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure...Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about..." Phil. 4:8 (LB)

5. Focus on doing good, not feeling good.

"If you are guided by the Spirit you will be in no danger of yielding to self-indulgence." Gal. 5:16 (JB)

6. Focus on people who help me, not hinder me.

"As iron sharpens iron, so people can improve each other." Prov. 27:1 (NCV)

7. Focus on progress not perfection.

"God who began the good work within you will keep right on helping you grow in his grace until his task with you is finally finished..." Phil 1:6

21 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Keep you hand to the plow my brother! God Bless.

Edie said...

I really got a lot out of this one Pastor. I think these are areas that God is working in my life right now.

"Character defects are often attempts to fill unmet needs."
I was praying today about a *defect* in myself that I realized likely came about because of long-term circustances. I know that I cannot make the changes on my own. It can only come about at His Word.

Thank you for today's lesson.

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Reverend,

I died right at the part of How do I cooperate with God's change process. Yes sir reverend, I must cooperate, I must cooperate, bless you reverend.

Owens

Ronald said...

Pastor thank you for your post, God is using you to be a tremendous blessing to so many people and the reason I know this is because you are a blessing to me.

Thanks,
Ron

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Hello Son, I have come to look forward to your recovery messages. I ditto everything Edie said, what Pastor Owens said and, what Pastor Ron also said. I'm sure I will agree with all of the comments that will come in. We all have some character defects. I continue to strive toward growth in my christanity. Thanks Pastor for helping each of us. Be blessed.

Mother

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Fitts, another great post, and I too am glad that we are brothers both in ministry and in blogging.

Lance

Joyfulsister said...

Dropping by to say hello and "Happy Holidays". Been under the weather but feeling better and trying to catch up on my blogging visits. Wonderful post as always and being with a Christian organization that deals everyday with recovery both for men and women I find each post on recovery very helpful and encouraging.

Blessings Lorie

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Happy Sunday. Just checking in to ensure that you survived the thanksgiving holiday with all the choices and rediculious amounts of dessert (smile)

have a great week!

Shanita Waters said...

Great post. I'm so glad I stopped by. I'm enjoying your series. I can also appreciate that you are giving just the right amount of info in your posts so that I'm able to follow yet, I can't wait for the next part.

Blessings!
Shanita

Sharon said...

Sorry I haven't posted it's been a rough year and with the holidays it's even harder. If you have read about me then I guess you know.
But I wanted to come by and say
God Bless you and your family.

Have a Merry Christmas
Sharon

NAVAL LANGA said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS--CLICK HERE FOR THE CARD

Sharon said...

Happy New Year my friend looking forward to sharing more of God's word with you next year
God Bless
Sharon

NAVAL LANGA said...

HAPPY NEWS YEAR

MAY THE GOD BLESS YOU FOR THE HAPPINESS AND SUCCESS YOU WISH

[CLICK BELOW FOR THE CARD]
http://www.images.dgreetings.com/newimages/newyear/2005/new-year-floral1.jpg

Mrs. Moore said...

Luv Ya Thanks for always being there and thanks for the lessons on your posting it helps out alot since I can't ask questions during the Sermon... xoxo

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Great post my Brother! Keep up the good work.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Enough is Enough already. It's time to check in at the blog household. Hope you are OK and your New Year is a happy one so far.

Mother

SLC said...

This is so good.
Even four weeks later this is good.
I'll be steering many of my minister friends to "Cutting It Straight" this year.

Thanks again.

SLC

NAVAL LANGA said...

Today I saw the photos you have posted hereunder. I liked all of the plates.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
BIG CITIES OF INDIA

Sharon said...

Hello, and Blessings to you, You have not posted in a while and I was just checking in on you. I pray all is well with you.
Have a blessed day
Sharon

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Thanks Fits for checking in. I'm glad you are well. We all get busy from time to time but it's agonizing when you don't know what's going on with those you care about. Keep in touch. Take care.

Mother

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Pastor Fitts. I want you to visit my blog so you can see my Inauguration photos. Hurry back and blog again. Be blessed.

Mother